The customary plot:
THE SPLINTERED SUN is a fast-moving adventure
that will thrill newcomers diving into the world of Osten Ard for the
first time, while weaving together many parts of previously unrevealed
Osten Ard history for all the readers who are eager to delve into the
pre-DRAGONBONE CHAIR history of Hernystir and Erkynland.
Short summary:
Set
in the New York Times-bestselling world of Osten Ard, Tad Williams’s
latest novel is an action-packed, fast-moving adventure following the
mythic figure of Flann Alderwood and his band of misfit rebels. As the
old King of Hernystir’s health worsens, the realm has been thrown into
chaos—warlords divide the land up among themselves and questions about
the heir to the throne continue to cause conflict. Flann, along with
mysterious allies both common and noble, must aid the King’s one
legitimate heir in his quest to receive his father’s blessing and
attempt to return stability to the realm, while pursued by enemies eager
to end his life.
My review:
I lucky to be approved for an eARC from Netgalley for this book.
At about half a dozen or so of chapters, you're still getting to know who all the characters are and what's going on with their part of the story. At 17%, things start to pick up more than what they have. The story right from the beginning was not sluggish at all.
Ooops....wrong about the pacing. The story moves slowly. Very slowly. More than what I usually read and like.
I'm at the 71% mark and I've decided that I've had enough. I'm going to DNF it at this point, hoping that I will finish it before the end of this year. When a book stops holding your attention and concentration, it's time to let it go. I will rate and review what I have read.
For me to DNF this book, it's definitely not the books fault. It's more of my issues and that is pacing. The other peeve for me is the changing of POV mid chapter. The first half of the book doesn't do this. This happens more frequently in the second half.
The characters are well developed. The world building is there. Do I still want to know if they're successful in what they're doing? Yes and a little bit of no. The no is for right now.
Does this discourage me from reading this author again? Nope. I think that I will have to be in the mood for another book or even to finish this one.
I still am going to give this book 3 stars ⭐⭐⭐. Like I mentioned, it's not a horrible book where I don't care what happens to any of the characters. At the moment, it's just not for me.
The cover is really good, that's what drew me into wanting to read it. I still recommend this book to read.

No comments:
Post a Comment